Sunday, April 22, 2012

Getting Wisdom

I consider myself an intelligent individual; some one capable of making good decisions and employing discernment.  But, I don't often think of myself as being 'wise'. I typically reserve that distinction for people (usually much older than I) who are well versed in the bible, elders in the church and those who's life decisions have resulted in stability and fruitfulness.   I long for having the same stability and fruitfulness I perceive them having. I like to imagine my older self  as being wise both of life and scripture.

Of course, I fully comprehend this is only achievable through prayer, continued study of scripture and more importantly, the implementation of it in my daily life. That's the hard part. I know what I ought to do, I just don't always do it.   Gentleness, self control, patience and all the fruits of the spirit for that matter, are not always my first reaction to adversity.

Practice refines a skill. The skill of patience, gentleness, self control are all characteristics of people who are wise in the way of the Lord. Not implementing lessons learned from scripture is a contradiction of choice to be Christ like and consequently is not a demonstration wisdom.  Of course, we do not acquire wisdom on our own.  It's a blessing from our father that's honed by the individual. Secondly, learning from other wise people is learning by observing.

Proverbs 24:3-7
3 By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established;
4 by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
5 A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might,
6 for by wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.
7 Wisdom is too high for a fool; in the gate he does not open his mouth.

Father, thank you for giving us instruction for life and the ability to acquire wisdom. Please help me to have a humble heart ready to learn and a spirit of eagerness to serve you. I ask you to continue to groom me in wisdom and knowledge of you kingdom.
In Jesus name, amen.

Michelle Tittor
Grapevine, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment