Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reward

In the middle of the Sermon on the Mount (Matt.6), Jesus started talking about doing Christian deeds. You know, like saying prayers and helping the poor. He used the word “reward” several times. Sometimes He uses it to mean the reward God gives us. Other times He means a different reward.

He wants us to know why we do what we do.

He starts with a warning. “Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them.” If the reason we pray or give is to impress men, we get nothing from God. If we want to impress men, then that’s all the reward we get.

On the other hand, if we try to stay out of the limelight, God sees and will reward you. He even says God sees in secret. Now that is a sobering thought!

God knows our motives. So we have the good deeds we do or the prayers we pray. And we have the “why” we did the deeds and prayed the prayers.

In verse 5, Jesus said, “If you did it for the praise you receive, well…that’s the reward you get.”
I didn’t get far in this scripture before I stopped thinking about Pharisees and started thinking about me!

Dear Heavenly Father, who is almighty and eternal. You know everything including what I think. You know my motives and schemes. This should be a comforting thought, but sometimes it is troubling. You know my pride. You know how much I like praise. Please forgive me for claiming glory that is yours. Help me to hide my own glory and to seek your reward. Please give me the wisdom to discern my motives. Help me to give you all the glory.  In the name of Your Son, Amen.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

1 comment: