Friday, January 6, 2012

Turning the Page....With Hope

My family had the dubious privilege of knowing going into 2011 that it would hold some challenges for us. We started the year with me living in a house that we were trying to sell while my husband worked during the week 200 miles away, joining us on weekends (for the record -- not much happens in the housing market in the winter). We were grateful for the job, as 2010 had blindsided us with unemployment and uncertainty.

There was the selling of the house, the buying of a house -- and if you’ve transacted real estate lately, you know that is not a stress-free endeavor -- relocating all of our belongings, and getting our teen children moved and enrolled in new schools. Besides the general emotional upheaval such a move takes, there has been financial drama as the economy continues the Tilt-A-Whirl ride. To sum it up, 2011 has left our family a little worse for the wear.

As 2012 launches, I am eager to turn the page. A fresh start is waiting. I frequently turn to Jeremiah 29:11 to be reminded that God holds my future, but I just realized that it says He wants to give me hope, too: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (emphasis mine)

God understands how powerful hope is. Sometimes it’s all this world has to offer us -- hope of a better world later.

I can’t know what 2012 will bring. But I know Who will be walking beside me. May I be fully surrendered to His will that I may bring glory out of each circumstance -- whether it look like opportunity or obstacle.

“But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.” Psalm 71:14

I pray that your 2012 is a rich time of growing deeper in our Lord, filled with hope, and joy and peace:

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13


Sarah Stirman
McKinney, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I'm saddened to here of your financial trials, but your positive attitude, yielding heart, and enduring spirit is truly inspiring. My day is better because of it. Thank you for sharing and praying God's will to be clearly evident to you and your family in 2012.

    ReplyDelete