Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Shalom

Today’s word is Shalom, commonly used now by people of Jewish faith as a greeting or farewell; and meaning, “Peace”.  Shalom is the Hebrew word meaning “the complete state of well-being, fulfillment, prosperity, peace”.  I can truthfully say I have never used this term as a greeting or farewell, and I would get a strange response if I did use it in Texas.  Perhaps, “Shalom, y’all” would raise fewer eyebrows.  I do enjoy the concept of God’s promises for our lives that provide for us a complete state of well-being, fulfillment, prosperity and peace. We can remember in any trial we encounter:

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

God has promised that if we love and trust him, he will protect us, provide for us, answer our prayers, and assure that good things will result.  We may become impatient while waiting for those good things.  It is imperative to continue to trust that God is in control and will grant peace or “Shalom”.  We may think that the result we want in a particular situation is God’s purpose, but that may not be the case in our lives.  People do not wish to experience difficult situations, but those trying times help us learn to deal with the variety of unexpected encounters that will occur.  Whatever God’s purpose for us, it is good because God is good.  I believe that and will cling to that during easy days and desperate days to come.

“The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him.” Nahum 1:7

Dear God, Please grant shalom for my life as I accept your purpose for me.  In Jesus name, Amen

Sherilyn Svien
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment