Monday, January 30, 2012

To Whom Much is Given

I would consider myself a talented and energetic person.  If I choose, I can make it through the day without calling on God. I usually complete my job and the day goes well.  As I pen these words, this verse comes to my mind, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. Luke 12:48   

I am a registered nurse by profession. I strive to provide organized and efficient care for many people.  I possess patience, kindness and a warm smile and the patients know that I truly care about them. Some days, I choose to rely solely on myself as I go about my work.  On other days, I go to God in prayer and ask for his help to make me a better nurse. I ask that He make me more patient and more able to see the needs of others. God grants me more energy, he strengthens me and my heart has a greater capacity to show love. I become a better listener and I am given more insight into the heart of those for whom I provide care. I am more in tune with their frustrations and I am given a keen ability to help them overcome with words of encouragement. On those days I may leave my job feeling very tired, but I am filled with JOY, which is much better than a day that simply goes well.

As I write this blog I am asking myself, why don’t I go to God everyday and ask for help. I realize it is my own self sufficiency, this fast paced society and the fact that until I slowed down and took a pen to my day I failed to realize the difference that God was making.  I know now, that I was frequently missing the joy that God provides. I also realize those I serve and those I work with were possibly missing His blessings, because I did not call upon God’s help for the day.

I believe I can parallel my life with the Israelites who often forgot what God had done for them. I was forgetting it was God who gave me these talents. God waits for me each morning and gives me an opportunity to tap into his power and I neglected to ask Him to be involved in my day.  I have a new understanding: God did not give me these talents so I could be self sufficient. He gave them to me so that he can build on them and do even greater things than I can do on my own.

Writing this blog has opened my eyes and hopefully sparked something in yours. God seeks to set us free from dependence on ourselves, so that we will depend on Him.  When we depend on Him, MUCH can be achieved!

Dear Father, Thank you for humbling me and showing me how much you can do through me when I ask for your help. Take away the independent spirit in me. I am much stronger with you living through me. In the name of the Jesus! Amen.

Terry Smith
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment