Monday, January 23, 2012

Humility Paves the Way

The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom,
And before honor comes humility.  - Proverbs 15:33

I never thought of myself as a man of pride.  Sure, I usually thought I was right and found myself to be a good strategist in most things.  I knew I had a gift for reading people (most of the time) and I was typically confident I could read a situation and create a plan to work in or through almost any situation.  Not only did I know these things, people often confirmed them only strengthening my belief in myself.

Seldom did I feel the need to call on God to open my eyes and mind to what he would want me to see and know.  Afterall, he gave me this ability so why did I need to check things out with him first?  I was confident he wanted me to make these decisions and leave the big things up to him.  Then I came to see all things big things in God’s eyes.  I came to see that he cared for every created being and while he gave me some gifts, I learned I could use those gifts so much better when calling upon the Lord to give me understanding and insight.  

It wasn’t until a counseling session during the darkest days of my life (to this point) that I realized I battled pride.  I had taken the gifts God had given me and set about using them as I saw fit, making the decisions I thought was best and resting in the belief that I had created and crafted good ideas and solutions for people.  

Looking back, many of those decisions are still good decisions and I was using the gifts given from God but what could have happened if I would have stepped back for a moment and listened for instructions he may give me.  A little time wouldn’t have created a worse decision but taking a moment and calling on the "All-Knowing One" might have given me the ability to suggest even better solutions.  

Humility comes before honor.  I’ve been humbled.  I’ve had my legs cut out from under me and felt the foundation crumble beneath me and in the humbling, I have seen how I have learned to rely on God so much more.  In doing so, I believe I am learning to give better advice and make better decisions because I call on God so much more to give me understanding and wisdom.  I no longer want the honor but have found it in bigger measure, not externally, but internally as I feel a greater connection with God.  As I give him the glory, I feel more fulfilled because I know the LORD is using me for his purposes and that is all the honor I want or could ever need.  

I’m thankful for being humbled because it has lead to a new understanding of honor, one that is sweeter and more uplifting than anything I’ve known before.
Grace and peace to you.

Jeff Jones
Decatur, Texas

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jeff, for the powerful insight behind sharing your struggle with pride. God is faithful. Thank you for your transparency.
    blessings, m.oliver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jeff that is wonderful insight. I like how you came to realize God gave you a wonderful gift that he could build on. I need to remember that. We all tend not to ask for help on things we believe we already do well. I want to change my outlook on this as you have and even do better things calling on the name of the Lord. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete