Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Count Your Blessings!

Until seeing the recent movie, “Warhorse”, I had not given any thought to the role horses played in war.  Psalms 33:13-17(NLT) says, “The Lord looks down from heaven and sees the whole human race.  From his throne he observes all who live on the earth.  He made their hearts, so he understands everything they do.  The best equipped army cannot save a king, nor is great strength enough to save a warrior.  Don’t count on your warhorse to give you victory—for all its strength, it cannot save you.”  And, following in verses 20-22, “We depend on the Lord alone to save us.  Only he can help us, protecting us like a shield.  In him our hearts rejoice, for we are trusting in his holy name.  Let your unfailing love surround us, Lord, for our hope is in you alone.”  

It is interesting to see how God makes us aware of His presence and our hope that is in Him alone.  I continue to be amazed at the way God has inspired me through the short life of my twelve year old great-nephew, Kory.  A few weeks before his death, Kory and his mom were having their evening prayer together.  She was unable to control her tears and Kory asked, “Mom, why are your crying?”  She answered, “Kory, I am so sad that we cannot make you well.”  Kory then said to her, “Mom, please don’t cry, God is doing this for my benefit.” These words, “God is doing this for my benefit”, remind me that everything God does in our lives is for our benefit.

 I love the story Luke tells of Jesus when he was twelve being found in the Temple discussing deep questions with the religious leaders.  For three days his parents had been looking for him.  “Son, his mother said to him.  “Why have you done this to us?  Your father and I have been frantic, searching for you everywhere.”  Jesus reply was, “You should have known that I would be in my Father’s house.”  They didn’t understand what he meant but returned home and Mary “stored all these things in her heart”.  (Luke 2:46-51)  Perhaps she recalled the day they had taken their baby to the temple to present him to the Lord as the law required.  Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying, “Lord, now I can die in peace!  As you promised me, I have seen the Savior you have given to all people.  He is a light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel!”  Luke 2:28-32

You will recognize this familiar song written by Johnson Oatman, Jr.
“When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed, when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?  Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?  Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly, and you will be singing as the days go by.
When you look at others with their lands and gold, think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold; count your many blessings, money cannot buy, your reward in heaven nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict, whether great or small, do not be discouraged, God is over all; count your many blessings, angels will attend, help and comfort give you to your journeys end.”   

“Heavenly Father, I continue to be in awe of Your love, grace and mercy shown through the gift of Your Son, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!  Thank you for reminding me through the faith of a child that you are in control and that all You have done is for my benefit.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.”

Jan Alderfer, Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment