Thursday, November 3, 2011

Got Any Alone Time?

Be Still and Know that I am God.   Psalm 46:10
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him.  Psalm 37:7
Come near to God and He will come near to you.  James 4:7

Spending time alone with God is important. In our fast paced world it is becoming harder to set aside time to dive into the word of God and let it wash over us.  I talk to many who have trouble prioritizing their day in order to spend time alone with the Father.

This thought became evident recently when I invited my Mom to go shopping with me at a department store. We went up one aisle and then the other chatting casually along the way. After we left the store we stopped for some yogurt and then headed home. When we arrived at my house she said, “Thanks for inviting me along. It seems like I don’t get to visit with you much lately.”  I wondered about that statement as she drove off.  

My normal day is filled with work from 8am to 6pm, Monday through Friday. I am blessed to have my Mom volunteer one morning a week at my workplace. We see each other at worship service on Sunday morning and we are together in a small group Bible study on Sunday evenings. We see each other a minimum three times a week. Why would she say she hasn’t visited with me much lately?

I considered things from her point of view. I realize she watches me at work and observes my work ethic. She watches me interact with others on Sunday morning at the assembly and she frequently hears how things are going with my other activities. She participates with me in our small group Bible study. In each of these situations we are among a group of people, which is not the same as one-on-one time.

I believe our God has the same longing for each of us. He is happy that we are out serving Him and doing good things. He is happy that we work to support our family and that we give Him the glory in all we do. Yet, he yearns for us to sit down and spend time alone with Him.

The Holy Spirit tells us to slow down and invest ourselves in knowing the Lord. Do we listen?  Our God is near. Spend time with Him. If we’re too busy to spend time with God, we’re simply too busy.

Dear Father, I confess to you that I often put other things ahead of spending time alone with you. I am so blessed by your presence when I am still. Thank you for always being a whisper away. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

Terry Smith
Stephenville, TX

2 comments:

  1. Terry, So true & you said it so well! Being a mother, like yours, who would give ANYTHING for more alone-time with her children, your writing brings it home to me that God actually desires me to spend quiet, alone-time with Him. lla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Terry. I need reminders to spend time alone, still, with the LORD. I love you, sweet sister! mo

    ReplyDelete