Sunday, October 30, 2011

In Peace and Truth

Have you ever found yourself thinking thoughts of judgment when you encounter someone who worships at a different place than you do or has different religious views than you? I know I am guilty of this from time to time.  Its subconscious, I don’t even realize it, but I sometimes consider myself better, in some way, because I worship at the ‘Church of Christ’.  Now, before any one gets their feathers ruffled by my statements, hear me out.

My choice to worship at a particular address does not make me better than any one else.  I have made a choice where to worship, who to worship with and the beliefs in which I hold true based on fundamental teachings in the bible.  I boldly defend the points which I believe and know to be important to my salvation.  Scripture tells us to be cautious of those preaching false teachings and we should be on guard.  But that doesn’t give me the right to consider myself greater than someone else because of our differing views.  This should be even more reason to be humble, compassionate and SHOW Christ through action and peace.

Paul writes in Ephesians 2:11-22: "Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands)— remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.  For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.  And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

Christ died for ALL of us. Not just me. Not just you.  Throughout Paul’s writing about the reconciliation of the Gentiles with God through the sacrifice of Christ, he talks of peace.  Christ destroyed the barriers of hostility between the Jews and Gentiles and made access to the Father for ALL.  I must refrain from passing judgment on others different than myself and make it a point in my discussions to make statements of truth in peace and love. 1 Timothy 6:20-21 says, "Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, 21 which some have professed and in so doing have departed from the faith."

We do have to be on guard for false teachings or distortions of the truth.  It is easy in the P-C society we live in to avoid asking questions about the details of someone else’s faith, afraid we may step on toes.  It is important to engage in conversation with those we encounter about the TRUTH, the only truth in God’s written word.  However, because of the reconciliation talked about in Ephesians, we must do it in peace and not in a hostile or arrogant manner.  Certainly, someone should question my authenticity if I am not peaceful and humble in my convicted discussions about the WORD. 

I encourage you to be firm in your spiritual discussions with others while maintaining peace and resisting hostility.  The only way others will come to know Christ in the way his Father intends, is by us sharing the truth of the scripture in a way that is loving and compassionate, just like our Father is with us.

Father, please forgive me for failing to show others peace and humility in my encounters with them.  Please help me to be humble yet firm in my convictions when sharing your word.  Thank you for sending your son as the reconciliation for all people.  Thank you for your forgiveness, love and grace.In Jesus name, amen.

Michelle Tittor
Grapevine, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment