Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Priceless Gift

I love doing random acts of kindness that are done in small ways that don’t call attention to me, but allow others to see Christ and the Spirit at work.  I get a sudden burst of energy and sense of well-being. I feel at those times, I am being molded, shaped, and transformed into the image of Christ.  It also allows me to stop, pause, and listen for the Lord. I believe one of our greatest needs in our homes and lives is kindness. Doing things that benefit someone else.  Kindness is a Christian virtue. (II Peter 1:7)  We are saved because of God’s kindness. (Titus 3: 4-7) What a priceless gift to pass onto our children.

Yet people simply don’t have time to be kind.  We are too busy! It seems people are in a hurry, impatient, and short-fused most of the time. Jesus says that we are to carry His light and let that light shine. (Matt. 5:16) When others see kindness they are drawn to it.  Children are a perfect example of this.  They are quick to sense and pick up on this quality in people who really have it.  

Are we too insensitive to the needs of those around us to spend any time helping? Kindness does take time. In Luke 10: 25-37,  Jesus tells the parable of the Good Samaritan and how he was sensitive to the man’s need and took time to help. Jesus showed kindness to the disgraced woman of Samaria as she drew water from a well. The result of her faith because of His kindness was amazing and many believed in Him because of the woman’s testimony. (John 4) 

I like the following adage:  I shall pass through this world once, any good I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do now and not deter it, for I shall not pass this way again.
It starts with you. Pass it on.

Carla Henson
Tuscola, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment