Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Jesus, The Reconciler

When I grew up on a cotton farm in New Home, Lynn County, Texas, my brother who was four years older than me (named Larry) sometimes terrorized me.  My nickname was ‘crybaby’. Often, we hoed together in the cotton field.  Most of the time, everything went well.  But, occasionally, when we had a major disagreement, we settled it with dirt clods or the big cotton boles if they were ripe enough.  I HAD A MAJOR PROBLEM.  Larry could throw a lot harder. And, if all else failed in the ‘chunking’ fights, he was big enough and strong enough to beat the tar out of me.

I did not know what the word ‘reconciliation’ meant at the time.  But, I was happy for reconciliation when it happened with Larry.  Reconciliation means ‘the restoration of friendship, the removal of enmity, and the establishment of peace.’  All three aspects of reconciliation were a wonderful thing for a little brother.

When Paul describes the work of Jesus in the gospel, ‘reconciliation’ is one of the greatest blessings that we receive.  Colossians 1:20-22 tells us that Jesus ‘makes peace through his blood, shed on the cross.’  We were alienated from God and enemies of God because of our sin.  CAN YOU IMAGINE A ‘WORST POSSIBLE’ ENEMY TO HAVE THAN GOD??  I thought Larry was a formidable enemy as a child because of his size and strength.  But, imagine the God of the universe as my enemy.  

The good news, according to Romans 5:6-11, is that God INITIATES reconciliation.  Paul says that when we were powerless and sinners and enemies of God, God provided Jesus to die for us.  God took the initiative, not us.  

Our ‘reconciliation to God’ is the heart of the gospel message.  And there is something else.  We have been given the ministry of reconciliation by God (II Corinthians 5:17-21).  God expects us to be ‘reconcilers’.  As Christians who have been reconciled to God, we have an obligation to be reconciled to our enemies.  That was the purpose of Jesus’ reconciliation for the Jews and the Gentiles.  And, it is His purpose for us.  He expects us to be at peace with one another. 

Prayer:  Father, help me to appreciate what Jesus accomplished for me—establishing peace between me and You.  Help me to take seriously my task of reconciliation as I live in my home and in my community and in my church.

Terry Brown
Abilene, Texas                      

No comments:

Post a Comment