Friday, September 16, 2011

At the Cross

I remember a dark time in my life. The church was going through difficulty; I was going through the wringer. I cried more than I laughed. I sighed more than I prayed. It was during this sad time, Steven came to visit. Steven is our oldest grandson. He was three at the time. We had a ritual he enjoyed. We would go into my office at home, sit on the couch and look at guns. We would talk about hunting and adventure.

That evening, we were looking at a rifle. I was depressed and didn’t want to get up and get it, so I was ignoring him. Then he said, “You know, Pa, when you look through that gun, you see that cross like where Jesus died. He was talking about the cross hairs in the scope. But when he said it, I was shocked back to reality. “What did you say? I asked”. He replied, “You know, that thing that when you look through it, you see that cross like where Jesus died.”  “Tell me about when Jesus died.” So he did.  Every detail.  I was overwhelmed and started to cry. Steven said, “It’s O.K., He’s alive now and He’s coming back.”          

Well, I really started to cry and I went and got Patsy. I sat her down on the other side of Steven and said, “Steven, tell Honey about when Jesus died.” And he did. Only better this time. He added more details and excitement to the story. Now we are both crying. That little guy took our hands in his and said, “It’s O.K., He’s alive you know and he’s coming back. NOTHING CAN STOP JESUS!        

You know, I knew that, but I must have forgotten. I was so busy with my sins and others, that I forgot. So the best sermon I ever heard was from a three year old. “It’s O.K., He’s alive you know, and He’s coming back.”

Dear Father, You sent Your son into darkness to save me. You held nothing back to free me. Thank you for Your great love and great grace. Even when I forget You, You do not forget me. When I am faithless, You are faithful. Help me to remember when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death that You are with me. Help me not to be afraid. Help me to remember You have already won. In the name of Jesus, that name that nothing can stop. I pray. Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

2 comments:

  1. I got tears in my eyes when I read this. Oh if we could be more like little children!! Thanks so much for sharing your precious memory. Terry Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. How refreshing! Children have a way of
    leading us back to the peace of God when the world distracts us from it. Blessings, mo

    ReplyDelete