Thursday, July 21, 2011

Red Sea Moment

It’s mid-July and it is hot.  Here in north central Texas, we are experiencing a drought and heat wave that will definitely be one for the record books.  We have suffered through over thirty consecutive days of extreme temperatures at or above 100 °F.  In an area that normally receives around 30 inches of rainfall annually, less than 5 inches has fallen year-to-date.  Parts of many southern states have been listed as “Exceptional” (the worst category on the scale) on the U.S. Drought Monitor.  Over 3/4 of Texas bears the same designation. 

A survey of the surrounding landscape enables one to see the effects of these extremely harsh weather conditions.  Pastures have turned brown in color and are brimming with grasshoppers that are consuming the remaining vegetation.  The grass has become so dry and brittle that it crumbles under foot leaving a well-defined print.  Leaves are curling up and falling prematurely from their branches before they have time to change color.  Cracks in the soil are forming and growing daily.  Ponds and streams are drying up, leaving livestock with few options for water.  Crops are dying.  Nocturnal wildlife can be seen midday, browsing for water and vegetation.  The air is hot and difficult to breathe.  But the worst effect of all is that there seems to be no end in sight as the experts forecast more of the same. 

I tend to see the cup half full, as is my nature, but in these extreme instances I struggle to even see the cup because conventional wisdom tells me to listen to the experts and their bleak outlook containing little, if any, hope of relief.  Then it happens.  Out of nowhere and defying all odds, a rain cloud pops ups, distorts the satellite signal causing the television to make a high pitched squeal which rouses me from my midday snooze.  The rain shower is brief, but it leaves 0.20 inches of rain while simultaneously dropping the thermometer to cool 91 °F (true story; happened last Saturday).  Oh, what joy!  More importantly, this was an awesome reminder that the seemingly insurmountable can be overcome.

This reminded me a story in the book of Exodus.  God promised to deliver his people out the bondage of slavery from Pharaoh and the Egyptians.  At one point in their journey, it seemed as though the Israelites would perish because Pharaoh’s army was at their backs and the Red Sea was in front of them.  No apparent escape route could be seen.  Fear, doubt, and hopelessness clouded their thinking into believing that death was imminent.  Then it happened.  Out of nowhere, God parted the Red Sea and led his people safely to the other side.

Why should I think that he doesn’t have the ability end a drought?  Why should I think that in dark times he has left me and is no longer at my side?  Why should I think that he is not in control?

I think we all have “Red Sea” moments; however, as disciples our challenge and calling is to look past the Sea and remember that, one way or the other, God will deliver.  He keeps his promises.  We are part of His plan. 

Jesus said, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, to, am working.” John 5:17

Father, thank you for the “Red Sea” moments that challenge and stretch me.  Forgive me when I am near-sighted.  I praise your name for including me in your awesome plan.  My faith and hope are in you.  Through Christ, Amen.

Todd Adams – Dublin, Tx


1 comment:

  1. I love the message behind this blog, Todd. Thank you for encouraging my faith. My husband plans on using your blog as an illustration in tomorrow's sermon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete