Monday, July 18, 2011

Following Jesus

John tells us, in chapter 6, of Jesus feeding a crowd of over 5000. This miracle showed he had the power to create. Since only God can create, it was a significant and revealing event. Jesus used this miracle to teach some heavy doctrine. He taught who He was and how we can live forever if we have fellowship with Him.

Since big truth demands we pay close attention, He also expected total comittment from His audience. What he got was rejection from most of His hearers. They said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?” verse 60. They were offended, they complained and they left.  Jesus, in verse 67, asked the twelve if they were going to leave. Peter answered Him in verse 68 “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”          

There are many small ideas in the world that take very little effort to think about. There is even a lot of stuff you can fill your life with and never think. But if you want to know the truth, if you want to live forever, if you want to know the way to heaven, well, you are going to have to know the One who is the Way, the Truth and the Life. To get close to Jesus is not easy; even the narrow way is hard but it is possible and the reward is great.         

Actually, Jesus paid us a great compliment. He demands that we think; that we commit; that we obey. This call to discipleship is a great honor. It is also a call to life.      

Dear God, I praise You for saving me. I know You held nothing back; not even Your Son. This abundance of grace is so overwhelming. That is why my reluctance to give back to You is so awful. Please forgive my sloth. Often, I am too lazy to tackle a hard thought. My attraction to slogans and cliches is embarrassing. I beg You to forgive my tendency to hold back when I should be pressing on. I know Your way is sometimes hard. I also know I avoid difficulties. For this I am sorry. I am grateful that Jesus took up His cross. Help me to take up mine. Help me to remember who You are and what You want for me and from me.   
In the name of Jesus, I pray.   Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Paul I am always touched by your insight and this blog reminds us that discipleship is an honor. Thanks for that and for opening your heart deeply in this prayer.

    ReplyDelete