Thursday, July 28, 2011

He’s mine, he’s precious – and I’m proud

I had a happy life before I was married. I spent almost 10 years after college as a SWM (single white male), but I never really knew happiness until I met my wife.  Our meeting is a whole other story, but suffice it to say, God had a plan, and through His guidance, we were married four years ago in June.
Marriage was and is wonderful, and God has blessed me with a wonderful, Christian woman to walk the road beside me, and for that, I am truly grateful. I was happy. Truly happy.
But I never knew happiness until I met my son.
It was 4:40 in the morning when the doctors delivered our bouncing bundle of joy, and I was now not only a husband, but a father. And I couldn’t have been happier.
But now, almost 10 months have passed and our little one is crawling, has funny expressions, loves to cuddle, has slept through the night since he was about a month and a half old, loves his food, loves to play, loves his mommy and loves his daddy.  I couldn’t be happier.
Recently, I was away from home for a day and a half, and when I returned, he wouldn’t let me out of his sight. He wanted me to hold him and play with him, and that made me happy, too.
My heart melts with joy when I see his smile and feel his love as he puts his head on my shoulder and pats my arm as I pat his back.  That makes me happy.
Then I start to think about my Father. No, not my dad who loves me deeply, but my Father who loves me unconditionally.  I know I mess up, and I strive to be a man after God’s own heart – as David was called. However, I still fall short of God’s glory.
When my son tries to pull on the doors on the entertainment system, or tries to play with my laptop or pulls on things he shouldn’t, we tell him “no-no, that’s not for you.” 
I wonder how many times our Heavenly Father has done the same, but we are deaf to his warnings. We fall anyway. We have a short memory and try the same thing over and over.  Yet, just like I still love my son, He still loves us. But more. Much more. Because He gave His only Son for you and me.
So, daily I pray that I live for God and that others can see that I subscribe to His teachings. I pray that by the way I act, the things I do and the things I say are a reflection of Him.  I pray that by doing so, God looks down on me and says, “He’s mine, he’s precious – and I’m proud.”
Heavenly Father,
Please help me to walk your pathway each day.  Help me to live so that those around may see your light shining through me.  May I be a living example for You and a reflection of You.  Help me to live so that someday you will say to me, “Well done thy good and faithful servant.”  Through Jesus I pray, Amen.
Joey Roberts
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment