Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Follow His Example

I am among you as one who serves. Luke 22:27

I realize I have exposed myself to the transforming power of Jesus.  Writing articles such as this one has blessed my life in ways I hadn’t expected.  Spending time meditating on God’s word has allowed Jesus to transform my thoughts and actions.  Allow me to share one example.

I am a nurse in a medical clinic.  Recently, during one of our busiest days, the front desk manager mentioned that she needed someone to make calls to a couple of hospitals to see if they offered a particular specialized treatment that one of our patients needed. There were four of us in proximity of her voice and I was secretly hoping someone else would volunteer to help her.  I knew the phone calls could take several minutes since many questions needed to be asked.   After a few awkward seconds of silence, I volunteered to take care of it.  My words said “Yes,” but my tone of voice and body language expressed exasperation (Ugh!  One more job to do.).  I immediately felt guilty for my selfish attitude.  Have you experienced similar conflict in your inner being?

When I got home that evening I was reading the Bible.  The Spirit put on my heart the story of Jesus washing the disciples’ feet (John13:1-17).  As I read the story I was reminded Jesus had a lot on his mind that evening.  His heart was heavy as he knew a friend was about to betray him and he was soon to give his life for all humanity. Yet, as the disciples gathered around the table there was something that needed to be done and no one had volunteered to do it.  Jesus began washing all 24 of the disciples’ dirty feet.  No complaining either. Oh, to be like Him!  The Spirit was teaching me and convicting my heart.  

 Jesus’ actions spoke clearly to his disciples that he came to serve and that he wants his disciples to follow his example by serving one another.  I realize that my actions speak of “who I am.”  I can make a huge impact on those around me by following Jesus’ example.  The Spirit has renewed my attitude.  It is amazing how fulfilling serving has been since my attitude adjustment!

I pray for all those who read this blog today, that God will fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.  In the name of Jesus, Amen.

Terry Diane Smith
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment