Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Theme: Listen Up!

“FOCUS!”   I have heard that word used numerous times during my existence.  In my profession alone, it is used several times daily.  I was also told to “Focus” several thousand times growing up! We are overwhelmed by so many distractions in our world today that it is easy to lose sight of the tasks at hand.  We are prone to make mistakes – most of the time because we aren’t focused.

Proverbs 4:20-23 says:
“My child, pay attention to my words; listen attentively to my sayings.  Do not let them depart from your sight, guard them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and healing to one’s entire body.  Guard your heart with all vigilance, for from it are the sources of life.”

As I read this I understand God to be saying to read the Bible, His words and to keep what we read deep inside…in our heart.  We have to focus on Him and block out all the day to day stuff that distracts us.  I (like many of you) have read scripture over and over again, and the more I read the more I sense that His spirit…the Holy Spirit, mixes with my spirit deep in my heart…my inner self.  When this occurs my body and my mind responds in healthy ways.  The more often I read the Bible the better I appreciate what God has in store for me – the better I understand how much He loves me.

I believe that is one of the secrets to living a really full life…understanding the love God has for us as an individual.  When we really believe this we begin to live it out.  By that I mean that we are better able to develop and sustain habits that honor our body and honor God.  We also are better able to keep our mind on things of God and not things of this world – we are able to FOCUS!

I’m reminded of a song that has been sung many times.  The verse is as follows:
“Turn your eyes upon Jesus.
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.”

So, allow God’s words…His truths…found in the Bible, to penetrate your heart.  This will bring you a richer and fuller life…and good health, in spirit, mind and body.

Father, thank you for your Word.  Help us to focus and to listen closely to what you have to say to us.  Help us to turn our eyes and our hearts to you.  Thanks for Jesus and His wonderful sacrifice.  It’s in Him that we pray – amen.  

Casey Dacus
Graham, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment