Monday, June 6, 2011

Theme: Listen Up!

Don't let anger get the best of you! 

This you must understand, my beloved brethren. Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

As I read these verses, the words, “You must understand,” stood out to me.  I realized how very important these scriptures are to my life.  They have the power to change my life and help me achieve righteousness.

The beloved brethren in these verses are you and me.  You may say, I have read these verses many times.  But, can you say, I was slow to speak in every situation the last few days?  When someone corrected your mistakes, did you speak quick words in your defense?  If someone took a “tone” with you that wasn’t appreciated, did you reply with a “tone” of your own?  As I read this scripture and think of the emotions that boiled inside of me in different situations over the past several days, I can say I have not mastered being “Slow to speak and slow to anger.”

Showing anger takes away our ability to bless the other person.  Developing anger disrupts our ability to listen.  Next time I feel anger brewing I plan to be quiet and listen and let the thoughts develop in my mind, while at the same time asking God to help me sort through the words I have heard.  I will also work hard to be certain my tone of voice demonstrates no anger.  There will be nothing easy about it.  I expect it will be hard!  I also know with full confidence that nothing is too hard for God.  He really wants us to ask for help!  When we succeed at controlling our anger we will reflect the righteousness of God.

Prayer
Most Holy Lord,   Help me today to be a good listener and to listen to the still quiet voice within me that comes from you. If I am angered today help me to gain control. Bridle my tongue and calm my thoughts as they churn inside of me. I want to say at the end of the day that I reflected your righteousness. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

Terry Smith
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment