Friday, May 27, 2011

Theme: "And Love Is...?" (1 Cor. 13:4-7)

Does Not Envy
Don’t you just hate it when you buy something and it’s new to you and wonderful and then before you know it, it’s outdated and something cooler has arrived? Well, so do the good people at Best Buy. I noticed a commercial this last week advertising a new program Best Buy offers (for a nominal fee I’m sure) where they will exchange what you bought from them if a newer, better model comes out within an allotted time window. Very cool, I thought to myself, while dreaming of buying things I don’t really need and then getting the new one as soon as it comes out.

Consumerism aside, this appeals to a bittersweet natural human characteristics: the desire to have the best. This can be a very righteous thing. For example, when a parent sacrifices all to provide for their child and give them a good life, the best. Or when we strive to improve ourselves for our loved ones, because they deserve the best me. Or when we sacrifice our time, energy, and first fruits to a cause or need, because God deserves my best.  However, we run into trouble when we begin to feel like we are owed the best and resent those who have it and want it for ourselves. We call this envy.

Among many other things, I Corinthians 13 describes genuine love as not envious. In Luke 14 Jesus tells those present that if there is something that you want or that others desire, his true followers will give it away rather than take it for themselves. Holy love does not envy because holy love desires to give more than receive. Take time this week to read all of I Corinthians 13 and may you take an opportunity to express this righteous love to those you encounter.

Father, give me a heart that does not envy after the life, things, relationships, and gifts of others. Fill me with joy and love for the blessings of others and remove my human selfishness. May my love be righteous and my heart rest with you. Thank you for all the blessings I’ve received. Amen.

Chris Palmer
Beaumont, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Your example of "improving myself for those I love so they will have the best of me" resonated with me and opened my eyes to a facet of love that does not envy. Thank you for that example to make this "old" passage become new.

    ReplyDelete