Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Theme: "And Love Is..." (1 Cor. 13:4-7)

“Love Keeps no Record of Wrongs”

Memories!  They can be a blessing or a curse.  There are some memories we want to hold on to. I will never forget the special memory of sitting on a curb beside my grandmother while visiting “Craters of the Moon” in Idaho.  As we sat resting, she recited I Corinthians 13, known as the “love chapter” in the Bible.  I have no idea when she committed this passage to memory.  But, she recited it without hesitation and perfectly.  As I reflect on her life, I can see how her love and faith have impacted my own life.  Just as she was still walking a mile a day into her eighties, she was also committed to her daily Bible reading.  Her love of God and obedience to His will was evident throughout her life.  No doubt she recalled this passage many times and it got her through some of the difficulties she often faced.

Just as there are memories we need to remember, there are some we need to forget.  Speaking about love in I Corinthians 13:5 Paul simply says,
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”  

We find in I Samuel 18 – 24, the story of King Saul’s jealousy after David had killed Goliath. David had gained the love and respect of Saul’s Son, Jonathan, who came to David’s defense when he learned that Saul was trying to kill David.  I Samuel 19:4, “Jonathan spoke well of David to Saul his father and said to him, ‘Let not the king do wrong to his servant David; he has not wronged you, and what he has done has benefited you greatly.  He took his life in his hands when he killed the Philistine.  The Lord won a great victory for all Israel, and you saw it and were glad.  Why then would you do wrong to an innocent man like David by killing him for no reason?” Saul listened to Jonathan and took this oath: “As surely as the Lord lives, David will not be put to death.”  

However, it wasn’t long before Saul once again tried to kill David with his spear while David was playing the harp.  Saul continued his pursuit of David but as the story goes, it was David who was given the opportunity to kill Saul.   I Samuel 24:10-11, “This day you have seen with your own eyes how the Lord delivered you into my hands in the cave.  Some urged me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, ‘I will not lift my hand against my master, because he is the Lord’s anointed.’  See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand!  I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you.  Now understand and recognize that I am not guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion.  I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life.”

Saul finally answers after weeping aloud, “You are more righteous than I.  You have treated me well, but I have treated you badly” (1 Samuel 24:17).

Most of us can probably agree that the “record of wrongs” we keep pale in comparison to the wrongs David suffered at the hand of Saul.  Like David, the wrongs done to us usually stem from jealousy, greed, anger, hurt, slander, rebellion, misunderstandings, hate, selfishness, possibly even laziness or others which Satan helps us to justify and harbor.  Although we may not want to admit it, keeping a record of wrongs is sinful and prevents us from being effective in our service to God.  Anything that takes our focus from God and service to our fellowman is a distraction and we must face it, deal with it and with the help of God’s Spirit working in us remove it from our memory.  I have often heard it said, “Well, I can forgive

, but can never forget”.  Really?

Does it take more effort to forget than to remember?  It is our choice.  Christ said in Matthew 19:26, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”  Christ is the ultimate example of perfection when it comes to “keeping no record of wrongs”!  How guilty are we of continuing to nail Him to the cross with our petty, self-centered, “life just isn’t fair” attitudes. Christ says in Matthew 6:14-15, “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your father will not forgive your sins.”


“Thank you, dear God, for not only telling us what love is, but for showing us through Your Son, who keeps no record of wrongs.  Make us aware when we wrong others and give us the courage to make things right with them so that our hearts will be right with You.  Through Jesus I pray, Amen”    


Jan Alderfer
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment