Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lost Their Song

       In Second Chronicles, chapter 29, we see a strange picture of God’s people without a song. There have not been any songs for sixteen years. Israel sang all the time. They sang when they went to war. They sang when they won victories. They sang when they remembered great days. They sang when they worshipped. When God was with them, they sang. They couldn’t help it. They sang…but they haven’t sung in sixteen years. It must have been a long sad sixteen years. What happened to them? How did they lose their song? Go back to chapter 28. The wicked man, Ahaz, is the King. He introduced all sorts of idol worship…even in God’s house.

      There could be no song with all that evil.

      But in chapter 29, Hezekiah becomes King. He tears down the idol altars. He cleans out the temple. He restores true worship to God. With restoration, they sang again.

      When a person is slipping from fellowship with God, one of the very first things to go is his song. Before he misses the assembly, before he abandons his duty, he quits singing and praying. You see, it is only natural for a person who is close to God to sing. They have to sing. It’s like a person in love has to smile. What about you? Have you lost your song? If so, come back to God.

     Dear Father, the only true and living God. I praise you for who you are. There is no one like you. When I cannot approach you , I know it is my sin that separates me from you. When my worship is flat, I know it is because I harbor sin in my heart.
     So now, I come to you asking you to cleanse me of my sins. Forgive me. Save me. Thank you for this forgiveness. Thank you for receiving my praise. Thank you for restoring my song. In the name of Jesus, I pray, amen.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment