Monday, April 11, 2011

Spiritual Fitness - Plus!

I’ve always tried to eat healthy foods, exercise (a little), take vitamins, and watch my weight. I thought I was in pretty good physical condition, but had not implemented a regular exercise routine since my daughters were little girls. Now they are both grown. We went on a family vacation a few years ago and my youngest daughter, Kim, an exercise science major at that time suggested we go to the hotel’s exercise room. It was a well equipped room with lots of machines I had never seen or used before. Kim gave me a training routine to try for the hour we were there. I can ride an exercise bike with the best of them, but then she had me try sit-ups. I could not do even one sit-up (with my hands behind my head as required by my very personal trainer). Since that didn’t work, she got a large exercise ball for me to use for sit-ups because it would be easier. Still no luck; not even one sit-up. How could I no longer be able to do sit-ups that were so simple when I was young? When I was a teen-ager, in P.E. class, sit-ups were no problem for me. Needless to say, I have now joined a fitness center, implemented the exercise training program from my personal trainer, Kim, and can now easily do sit-ups. I am much stronger and more fit than I was three years ago. I even have a WII Fitness-Plus video program to do at home if I can’t get to the fitness center.

Our spiritual fitness needs continual exercise just like our physical bodies. Daily Bible reading will help keep us spiritually fit similar to the strength training that helps keep us physically fit. We may not realize we have become spiritually weakened by our busy lives. We may not find the time we used to put aside for daily Bible reading because other things take up our time; family, school, work, chores, yard work, hobbies, volunteering in community activities. These are all purposeful activities, worthy of our time. The Bible has been with us for close to 2000 years, it will be there tomorrow. It is easy to justify delaying Bible reading to a later date. One day we will wake up and find we aren’t as familiar with passages of scripture that used to be favorites. A bonus comes from daily Bible reading. I call it Spiritual Fitness-Plus! Daily Bible reading will make each day begin or end with the encouraging words of God.

Dear Lord, help me to make time each day to find the encouragement you have provided in Your word, and communicate that encouragement to others I meet.

Sherilyn Svien
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment