Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Identity Theft

If you have never been a victim of Identity Theft or had your personal information compromised in anyway then count yourself among the lucky and blessed. If you have gone through this awful experience then my sympathy goes out to you. Recently, I was a potential victim of this crime.  As you can imagine, the last month or so has been anything but enjoyable!  I had to close out all my personal bank accounts, I had to put alerts on my credit profiles, and I had to file numerous reports with the Social Security Administration, the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Motor Vehicles. The thing that makes this experience the most troubling is how it makes you feel. You feel violated and helpless.  And, it breaks down your willingness to give people the benefit of the doubt in regards to trust.

As it is with anything, when something bad happens to you, you tend to rely on Jesus a little more than normal. Through this I have found myself praying, pleading and asking Jesus to solve this problem for me. Not only have I had the problem of dealing with “Identity Theft,” but through this experience I have found another problem and that is not relying on Jesus 100% of the time. I find myself racing through life trying to conquer things on my own. The majority of the time I do not encounter major problems like the one I just described. But, once something beyond my control happens, I automatically turn to the One Who has the power to fix everything.

But, why is that? That is not fair to Jesus. Why don’t I rely on him totally even when I’m not having “problems” of one kind or another? These questions are far more important than my Identity issue and constantly make me think of just how far I get out of line with my Christian journey.

Jesus wants our identity and personal information. After all he went to the cross for us. When you take a step back and ponder the fact of losing your identity, it is a horrifying thing. But, losing your identity to Jesus is brings much comfort. James 4: 7-10 says, “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.”

Holy Father, thank you for loving us. Your love and forgiveness are rejuvenating. Dear God, forgive us for not relying on you 100% of the time. When this happens, we are always reminded that you are in control and deserve that control. Dear God, thank you for loving us and we love you. Amen.

Landon Kribbs
Springtown, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment