Tuesday, March 22, 2011

They Were Called Christians

In olden days you had a name that was given to you at birth. Then you had the other name – the name that identified you. This name, in old English, was your “elk” name. Or, as we say it today, your nickname.

This was the name that described you to others. Maybe you were really big, so they called you “Tiny.” Maybe they called you “Red” for the color of your hair. Maybe your occupation became your name; like Shoemaker or Miller. Maybe your character came into play, so you were called John the Good or William the Brave. . . or Black Beard the Pirate.

In Acts 11:26, we learn the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch. This was not by the saints, but by the townspeople. Maybe it was meant as a slur; an insult – like, “do-gooders.” Whatever their motivation, it fit and it stuck. These people were “Christ's people.” The significance of the name is important.

This name fit them because they accepted Christ. They put their trust in His identity and agreed with His teachings. If you are a Tea Party member, there are certain things you believe. The list of beliefs would be different if you were a Communist. The name “Christian” fit because they were in agreement with Christ.

The name fit because they followed Jesus. This thing they were doing was not merely an intellectual exercise – they patterned their lives after Christ. They “walked in the light as He is in the light.”

The name fit because they gave up their will for Him. Paul said, “I no longer live; it is Christ who lives in me.” These people thought like Christ, walked like Christ, and followed Christ. No wonder people identified them with Christ.

It is fairly easy to wear the name “Christian” today. We can wear pins on our jackets, bracelets on our wrist, or put stickers on our car bumpers. But I wonder what our neighbors might call us when we are not around.

Do you think they would call us, “Christian”?

Dear Lord, I am overwhelmed when I think of your willingness to identify with me. You sent your only Son to become a man; to identify with me; to take my sins into His own body. So I can be saved!

I am so ashamed of my reluctance to identify with You. I need a new heart – one that is not proud. Help me, Father, to die to self. Help me to stay on the altar. Remove from me everything that tarnishes your name. Forgive me. Save me. In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment