Thursday, January 13, 2011

What is Love?

Series: Love

As I was driving home from work one day, I thought about what love was. I began to really think about love and what it meant to me. As I think of my everyday thoughts and use of the term love, am I really giving love the prestige and meaning it should have? For instance, before leaving for work each day, I begin by telling my wife I love her. As I drive down the road, I think, “I would love a great Starbuck’s latte." When I get to work, I tell myself “I love my job." In picking something to eat for lunch, I tell my co-workers, “I would love some great New York Style Pizza.” Lastly at the end of the day, all I would “love” is a great steak!

Do I really love all of these things? To be honest, I do not love them all. I do love my wife. Most of you know her, and what is there not to love? What about all the rest of the material things? I certainly do not love them all! These are things that I just want. As I read about love and how the word love is used in the Bible, I can’t help but realize that I might be cheapening the meaning every time I use or think of it. Some thoughts about love stand in my mind as I read some of the postings this week and other stories throughout the Bible. First, you might think about the love that Abraham had for God as Randy pointed out in the week. Amy wrote about the greatest commandments, which are to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'” Then we look at the kind of love we can have for our spouse, through Ashleigh’s love for Arlon. Melanie points out that love is active in John 3:16.

As you can see through scripture, love is many things, but is it loving a steak, a job, a new truck? I think that as you can see, love is far beyond just wanting a material thing. Love is something you do, something that you believe, and something that you are commanded to do everyday. You are commanded to love your God, your wife, your parents and your neighbor. But, do you understand this love that is talked about?

If you think about the way love is described in the Bible, it is most an act of giving something up because you love. For example, this means you are willing to sacrifice something or someone because of this feeling. I know that without hesitation I would give my life, my every possession for my wife. But not for a steak. Not even a prime steak! The Lord God and Jesus Christ showed us their love. Jesus served all his life because of his love for his father, and his undying love for us. Then both God and Jesus sacrificed by allowing Jesus to FREELY give his life for us, through his love, to pay our debt. What are you willing to give up to show your love for God, your wife, your parents, or your neighbor?

I think from now on, “love” in my vocabulary will only be used for a few things. Tell someone today you love them, then show it.

Our gracious Heavenly Father. I am in awe of your love. You have given us the greatest example of love. Your Son freely came to this earth, served, and died for our sins out of the love he had for you and your people. Allow us to freely take this example throughout the world. Please open our hearts to be able to show others that love is about serving you with all our heart, mind and soul. Help us to love you, and others with the same love that Jesus had. Let our love spread like a light in a dark land. In Jesus’s holy name. Amen.

Adam Tittor
Grapevine, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment