Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Trusting Him

Series: Trusting God in Hard Times

I spent Thanksgiving week in the hospital with my sister. She had a routine procedure which was complicated by a mineral imbalance. Her procedure was on Monday and we were still there on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, which was three days longer than expected. Nights are not very restful in hospitals with nurse visits every 4 hours and blood work in between. On Wednesday night at about 2 am, I remember the technician drawing blood. The look of desperation on my sister’s face was so intense. We all wanted to go home, but she especially wanted to go home. It was more than just getting out of the hospital. It was imposing a strange gloom on her that was turning into depression. As soon as the technician left early that morning and I saw her face, I had this deep impulse to pray in the most raw and honest way. With her hands held in mine, I prayed a prayer of complete surrender. I asked our Father to show His power in a quick, obvious, unequivocal way by making her get better. It was through raw emotion and overwhelming tears that I petitioned Him. After thanking Him for His Son and for His grace offered so freely, I uttered the word, “Amen.” At that very instant, I had a calming peace and confidence in knowing that we–my sister and I–had completely, wholeheartedly surrendered, trusting the Lord would deliver.

Her next lab result would not show a significant improvement, but our faith and trust remained. We continued to hope her condition would improve, AND IT DID! Our family spent Thanksgiving Day in the hospital and shared that holiday meal with other families in the same situation. We had so much to be thankful for. We had each other! Even though her condition prevented her from going home, it wasn’t life threatening. Yes, it was inconvenient, but she was alive. We all are alive! This ‘hard’ time for my family certainly doesn’t compare to what many people have experienced in their own hard times. But, it was a moment in time for me that was difficult–one that I had struggled with surrendering.

Sometimes I fail to fully surrender to His power and mercy. When I finally reach the point of realizing I am not in control and His will must be made complete, do I finally TRUST Him to take care of it! Placing complete trust in Him brings a peace and confidence in knowing the situation will be resolved according to His eternal plan.

I am encouraged by these scriptures, perhaps you will be too:
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To Him be the power forever and ever. (1 Peter 5:10-11)

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. (Isaiah 42:16)

Father, thank you for loving me enough to send your Son to Calvary for my sin. Forgive me, Father, when I fail to trust you in ALL things. Help me to completely surrender my whole life to you. Thank you for your love and grace. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Michelle Tittor
Cleburne, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment