Friday, January 7, 2011

My Words, Too.... Lord?


A few days ago, while waiting for traffic to clear out after a “fender-binder”, I had the opportunity to watch a fellow operate a back hoe in a road construction area. It is amazing how precise they can be with such a large piece of machinery. Abrupt movements of a few levers allowed him to dig in just the right places and remove both small and large amounts of soil and rock.

One of the most incredible gifts we have is the gift of speech. I’m constantly amazed at the impact a few syllables can have once they are turned loose in human discourse. Words have power. James said that a long time ago (Cf. James 3:1-12)

The Book of Proverbs contrasts wisdom and folly. They represent much more than mystical ideas. They are practical matters that begin in our hearts and empty into concrete actions. The way we use words says something about our character. Proverbs 18:21 says “Life and death are in the power of the tongue.”

I still remember a man telling me about six months after obeying the gospel about how the gospel was training his mouth to work differently. He said, “I’m learning how to stop certain words before they jump off my tongue. And, I’m learning how to say words I never knew how to say.” Then he said, “I wrestle with giving God my bad words and taking the ones He wants me to have.” Wow!

Jesus said, “The mouth speaks out of what fills the heart.” Paul adds, “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment that it may give grace to those who hear.” He continues this thought in the next verse: And do not grieve the Holy Spirit by which you were sealed for the day of redemption.” Sobering words to say the least. Good medicine indeed!

I like these thoughts from an anonymous writer:

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.

Watch your words, for they become actions.

Watch your actions, for they become habits.

Watch your habits, for they become character.

Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

O Lord, the words of your servant David are our words too. Who can discern his errors? Forgive our hidden faults. Keep us from willful sins; may they not rule over us. And, may we be blameless and innocent of great transgression. We acknowledge that you created speech to be used in grace and wisdom. May the words of our mouths and the meditation of our hearts be pleasing in your sight. Amen.

Randy Daugherty
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment