Monday, December 20, 2010

Hungry?

Series: Hungering for the Word

When you go awhile without food, your body sends you a little reminder. You feel hungry. If you don't eat, the reminders get more severe and intense. After a while, the reminders stop. Then, much more serious consequences begin. You actually start to consume your self. Eventually, you will become weak. Then your body starts to shut down; you can't see, you can't think and you die. You need food to live. Jesus said, "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" Matt. 4:4.

Most of us have ignored those hunger pains for His Word. Or we have substituted other words. Many times we are past this stage and feel no pain. But we are starving; we are becoming weak. Our thinking is affected. We can't see as we should. Some are close to death. Others have died. Nothing replaces food. Nothing replaces the Word of God. you can't live without it. So why do we try? Some try to live on milk when meat is needed. So foolish!

Dear God, I am so sorry. I have turned from the bread of life and have stuffed my life with junk. Please forgive me. Please give me the nourishment I need...Your Word. I am weak; I don't think straight. Please give me the wisdom to know what I need. In the name of Jesus, the True Bread from Heaven, I pray. Amen.


2 Peter 3:8 says, “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord, a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.”

Similarly, I believe one word from the Lord holds the value of a thousand words of men. The words of the Lord are moving, calming, helpful, wise, joyful, guiding, saving, and a host of other adjectives.

The Bible is an amazing gift for mankind. It tells the story of God’s love and the sacrifice of His blameless son for our sake. There are answers for life’s difficulties, hardships, adversity, suffering, wants and needs, and ultimately eternal salvation for our souls. If we hunger after the Word of God, we will be more than satisfied--we will be satiated.

Last week I went to a funeral for a friend. She was a joyful person, a Christian who lived a life that influenced every person she touched. Her funeral offered the opportunity to come to the front of the church building and share memories of our friend. The result was a stream of people happy to have the chance to tell stories about their friend. The words from her friends helped all of us visualize Jennifer’s joy, eccentricities, kindness, love, giving spirit and enthusiasm. The congregation was moved to tears and laughter through such positive words of men and women.

At other times words of men and women convey bitterness, anger, shame, sadness. Such words and feelings spread like viruses to other people and can separate us from God. The spirit of man is vulnerable and may be buoyed by God’s word. Satan is lurking and ready to capitalize on opportunities to mislead us. Reading the Bible daily is like a tonic for our souls. When I have experienced stress and sadness, I have always found comfort in reading the Bible. It is amazing that very often the specific words I read provide needed guidance and solutions for that day.

Dear God, please help me continue to hunger after your word. Help me be bold to share your message today. Thank you for the guidance we find through study of the Bible.

Sherilyn Svien
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment