Sunday, January 16, 2011

Encouragement: Who Needs It?

Series: Encouragement


I work and serve others at the local hospital and I was reminded recently just how much we all need encouragement. A volunteer who had served our hospital for years sent out a good bye e-mail to all of us employed at the hospital. In that e-mail she told how much she had enjoyed volunteering and serving those in our community. She also encouraged us by saying, “Remember to smile once in a while and say hello to us nobody’s when you walk down the hall.” As you can imagine, those words pierced my soul. She blessed us by volunteering and making our jobs easier and as a whole we failed to encourage her.

How hard is it to smile and say hello to those in our path? God made us able to do these very simple things and yet sometimes we reserve them for those we know well. Remember! We are an “apprentice of Christ” and Christ went out of his way to recognize people who were routinely overlooked and ignored.

Keep your eyes open. It could be a child or someone elderly, crippled, disabled or maybe one of your friends. Perhaps God put them in your path so you could be the one to bring them a word of encouragement. I quote Paul in II Cor. 7:6: “But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus”. Let’s be “Titus” to someone everyday!

Prayer:
Father God, use me this day to encourage the people who cross my path. I also want to thank you for sustaining and encouraging me every second of every day. I know if you were to withdraw your hand from me for even a moment I would sink into nothingness as when a drop of dew exhales into the air. I am grateful to you. In the name of Christ, our Lord, Amen.

Terry Smith
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment