Sunday, November 14, 2010

Worthy

The word ‘worthy’ is a hard word for me. Oh, it makes perfect sense when Jesus was found worthy to open the scroll in Revelation 5. Of course, Jesus is worthy. But what about the command to be worthy of the Gospel in Philippians 1:27? How can I possibly be worthy of the Gospel? In Ephesians 4:1, Paul begs us to live a life worthy of our call. Impossible!

God is always commanding us to do the very thing we can’t do. To a lame man, he said, “Get up”. To a man with a withered arm, he said, “Stretch it out”. And to me, He says, “Be worthy”. Impossible!

Thankfully, He gives us some hard but doable tasks associated with being worthy. He uses words like lowly, meek, patience, love. He said to stand firm and stand together. But still does that make you ‘worthy’? How can I come up to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ? I can’t! I have tried but I am always falling so short of what I should be. I know more about wretchedness than worthiness. Of course, there is “fear and trembling” as we try to work out our own salvation. (Philippians 2:12.)

I am afraid because I am trying to do something that I must do that I can’t do. Fortunately, His word is good news. The next verse, Philippians 2:13, tells me: “God is at work in you both to will and to work for His good pleasure”.

There are many things that are impossible with man but with God ‘All Things Are Possible’. God and only God can cleanse us, save us, sanctify us and make us worthy.

It is so exciting to think that God can take my life and make it worthy. That

He can find pleasure in my life.

Dear Father, Thank You for Your word. It corrects me and instructs me. It guides me and directs me. Sometimes Your word frightens me. You know how unworthy I am. I am undone. The harder I try, the more obvious my failures are to me. I know you see them even more clearly. So I beg you, Father, don’t throw me away. Please don’t give up on me.

Please, Dear Father, do what ever is needed to make me worthy. Take away anything that is in the way. Add any burden I need to carry. Whatever is necessary for Your good pleasure. I don’t understand Your ways but I know You love me and I want to please You.

Please accept this prayer in the name of Your Son, Jesus, the One who is Worthy.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment