Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Beautiful Sunset And Then Some

A couple of weeks ago I went with friends on an annual shopping trip to Salado. Most of our conversations that day made reference to our inability to “remember the details” in whatever story we were telling. (We are all "of a certain age” if you know what I mean.) On the trip back to Stephenville we watched the most beautiful sunset. As we admired it I said, " I may not be able to tell you every detail about what I did yesterday, but I can describe this sunset with a scripture I learned in the eighth grade.”

“The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies proclaim the work of his hands .

Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.

There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. “ (Psalm 19:1-4)

By the way, my three friends knew the scripture too, and we all finished it together. It was a very moving sunset.

I learned Psalm 19 as a bible class assignment in eighth grade. Now I can only quote verses 1 through 4, and verse 14. For a long time I thought the psalm was composed of two completely unrelated parts: verses 1-6 having to do with the wonders of God's creation, specifically the heavens; and verses 7-14 relating to the Law of the Lord,

“The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commandments of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.” (vv. 7-11)

Now I think these two parts are not unrelated after all; David was praising God for His Creation and The Lord speaks to us through the beauty of the world He made and still controls by the laws he put into place in the Beginning, and he speaks to us through His Word. In this one, perfect Psalm we have David's praise, and also the Heavens tell of his glory, so that we are reminded to praise him day after day and night after night. for His Law.

Essie Wyatt was my teacher when I memorized Psalm 19. She taught a two year curriculum called Bible Credit in the Church where I grew up. I had to learn and recite many other Psalms and scriptures, most of which I can't quote today. But there are some that I can clearly recall at particular times, like when my prayers are seemingly unanswered, or when they are abundantly fulfilled...or when I see a beautiful sunset.

Prayer:

Everywhere I look, Lord, I see evidence of your presence. May I pay attention as the heavens declare your glory, and may I not take the gifts of Your Creation for granted. Thank you for the Psalms of David. And thank you for teachers like Mrs. Wyatt who shared their love of your Word with me. Bless all of the teachers who give so much of themselves today to plant your Word in the hearts of our children.

Lynn Anne Hughes
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment