Thursday, January 30, 2014

Are You Hungry?

Food is an essential part of our daily lives.  Unfortunately, the importance we place on eating has a tendency to go to excess.  (Note: we’ll save the obvious need for this discussion for another time.)  My point is that I have no problem planning, preparing, anticipating, and craving my next meal.  The norm when I am hungry is that I want to eat… NOW!
 
An odd sensation occurs once my stomach is full.  Interestingly, I want nothing to do with food.  When I am full, I am satisfied.  When I am satisfied, I am only concerned about other matters.  Food isn’t on my mind until I am hungry again.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught his disciples, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.” (Matthew 5:6)

Jesus taught that our life will be blessed if we seek God’s righteousness in the same way as if we were hungry for food.  Those that do this will be filled and satisfied.  Isaiah describes it this way, “Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?  Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.”  (Isaiah 55:2)

Hungering for righteousness means we have a strong desire for the holiness God has to offer.  When hungry, our souls will have an urgent need to be filled with God’s majesty and love.  Our hearts will long for the peace and contentment that can only come from heaven above.

Don’t be deceived:  It is difficult to consistently seek God’s righteousness because of the ebb and flow of our human desires.  We can be easily distracted, depending upon the urgency of a situation.  Hungering for righteousness is a matter of priorities.  When we say we love God and choose to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, hungering for righteousness is a matter of first importance.  We should desire to be filled with his Spirit and become like him in our spirit.

As Paul prayed for the Philippian church, I pray for you, “(Be) filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ – to the glory and praise of God.”  (Philippians 1:11)  Are you hungry, now?

Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, please accept our appreciation for the righteousness you offer through your son.  Help us to have a strong desire to be filled with righteousness, in the same way we have a strong desire for food when we are hungry.  Praise and glory to your name.  In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.

Carl Smith,
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment