Monday, October 28, 2013

Our Path

"Teacher, what must I do to get life forever?” – Luke 10:25


Recently my wife and I attended a UIL Band competition our son was participating in.  After his part had concluded and we were leaving, I drove to the entrance to pick up my wife.   She opened the door and asked for $5.   I handed her a $5 and she quickly walked back to a young woman standing at the entrance who was noticeably upset.  My wife spoke to the young woman and then handed her the money.  The woman ran towards the ticket booth, then stopped abruptly and ran back to my wife.  She embraced her with a hug as if they were best friends before returning to buy a ticket.   Her child was inside, she couldn't get in, she needed help, the kindness of a stranger allowed her to see her child perform.  


I expect we all have been on both ends of these "small" acts of kindness.   The reality is, just as for this young mother frantically needing to get in to watch her child, these small acts are great gifts that provide much more than we may realize.   At their foundation is a cornerstone principle Jesus lived and taught. Jesus calls us to "Go and learn what this means: ‘I want kindness more than I want animal sacrifices.”  (Matthew 9:13).   He calls us
as His followers to freely, with no reservations, and with no strings attached to show love to our own, to our neighbors, and to our enemies.   Just as the mother ran to my wife and hugged her in gratitude, our kindness, mercy, and forgiveness opens the hearts of those receiving these gifts to see Christ firsthand.   


It is easy for us to get distracted and follow paths that lead us away from our intended life.  We get bogged down in our religious systems, traditions, and biases and we don't listen or hear Jesus speak.  Our mission, based on our own experience of receiving the mercy and kindness of Christ, is to share Him, personified by us.  Share Him in simple, intentional, day to day service and care for others.  God will take these offerings and accomplish what He wants.  In the process He is glorified by our love, our hearts are changed in these experiences, and we more clearly see the path Jesus wants us to follow.


Scotty Elston
Shallowater, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment