Friday, June 14, 2013

Tell Me More

I couldn’t help but laugh and cry a little bit the other night.  A friend of mine shared the following story with me.  

He was at dinner with his uncle and a few “younger” male friends.  His uncle is in his late sixties.  The conversation turned toward sports and each person's weekly exercise plan.  Talk of going to the gymn and doing weights segued to how far each person runs each week.  A remark about running a few miles was soon bested by someone who does “more miles”.  One guy had done a few 5 K’s.  Another one had done a couple of half marathons.  The uncle of 68 years listened intently.  Someone asked him, “You look physically fit.  What do you do to stay in such good shape?”  He humbly answered, “Oh…I run a little bit, bicycle, do a few weights each week and swim some.”  “Well, good for you,” replied one of the young bucks. “Have you ever competed in a 5 K?  You should try it some time.  I bet you would do well.”  The uncle remarked, “I started out doing those little runs several years ago.  Right now, I’m training for my seventh Iron Man competition (2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride, and then a 26 mile run!).  The conversation quickly turned to ordering food!

Such is our world, isn’t it?  We live and die by comparisons.  Children learn “too early” how to compare themselves and others to the lauded higher standard whether real or fictionalized.  Reaching for excellence in any noble endeavor is admirable.  Our interest in excellence is often accompanied by a rooster we keep under our arm that crows on a regular basis.  Adults can get lost in “one upmanship”, too!  One story is bested by another story.  Trailing remarks are sometimes laced with enough information to let you know “been there done that….so glad you are finally in the club.”  Too often what someone is sharing or celebrating has a short shelf life; a bigger dog comes along and puts us under the table! 

All of this reveals our need to be perceived as “something special.”  I have a resume, too.  I went there, too.  I accomplished that, too. I built one about that size, too.  We grew about that fast, too.  My kids made high marks, too.  I was….too!  On and on it goes.  And, before we lay this at the feet of the pagan world, it should be stated unequivocally that Christians are just as “gifted” in this area! 

We need Paul’s self-perspective in our lives.  Heard any of these cliché verses?
  • By the grace of God I am what I am (1 Corinthians 15:10)
  • I am the chief of sinners. (1 Timothy 1:15)
  • What things were gain to me, those things I have counted loss for Christ.  (Philippians 3:7)
  • Who do you think Paul is, anyway? Or Apollos, for that matter? Servants, both of us—servants who waited on you as you gradually learned to entrust your lives to our mutual Master. We each carried out our servant assignment. I planted the seed, Apollos watered the plants, but God made you grow. It’s not the one who plants or the one who waters who is at the center of this process but God, who makes things grow. Planting and watering are menial servant jobs at minimum wages. What makes them worth doing is the God we are serving. You happen to be God’s field in which we are working. (1 Corinthians 3:5-7)
  • In no way am I inferior to the most eminent apostles, even though I am a nobody. (12:11)
  • Most gladly therefore I will boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  (2 Corinthians 12:9)
 
Getting up each day in a “servant’s” mentality equips us with the proper mind and heart for every conversation.  We can rejoice with those who rejoice.  We can “out –do” one another in showing honor.  Our eyes and thoughts are clear enough to look out for the needs of others.  Encouragement flows more naturally from our mouths.  And, all of this happens because we are settled in our hearts.  We do our best at whatever we put our hand to, but we live with others in the realization that “by the grace of God” we live and move and breathe in every situation.  

“If you want to claim credit, claim it for God.  What you say about yourself means nothing in God’s work. It’s what God says about you that makes the difference." (2 Corinthians 10:18 The Message)

Father, we are your servants.  May your mercy, grace and purposes in Christ and the joy that you give each day anchor us in a humility that allows us to be the person you need us to be in every situation.  Amen.

Randy Daugherty
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment