Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Alone

A man sat across from me, he had just said he was seriously considering ending his life. “Why would you do a thing like that?”  I asked.

His voice broke as he said, “I am so lonely.  I haven’t got a friend in the world.”  When he said that,
my chest got tight.
    
We know what loneliness is, don’t we?

A painful part of life is watching those we love leave.  The feeling we name loneliness is much like grief.  We grieve over the loss.  Sometimes they grow up and leave.  Sometimes they grow cold and leave.  Sometimes they die.  Sometimes they don’t want to go but they go and we are left behind.  Being left cannot be ignored. Loneliness affects everything that we do.
     
To those left behind come these encouraging words from God found in Hebrews 13:5: “I will never leave you or forsake you.”

Did you see what he says?   What does never mean?
There is no situation where God will leave you.
No Place     No Time     No Situation
If you are God’s child you can say, “I am not alone.”
Remember Singing-“Anywhere with Jesus I am not alone.  Other friends may fail me he is still my own.”

Dear Heavenly Father,
You are everywhere.  This is such comfort to me.  I have run from you but you are always there.  Like the father of the prodical you are watching and waiting.  Like the Good Shepherd your rod and staff comfort me.
The loneliness I feel is a lie because I am not alone.  You are near.
Forgive me for looking away from you.  Thank you for your love and forgiveness.  Thank you for your fellowship.  Help me to know your love and know that I am not alone.
In the name of Jesus I pray.
Amen

Paul Shero

San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment