Monday, February 18, 2013

Love Simply


Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God... (I John 4:1).

I’ve always been painfully aware of my imperfections.  In childhood I often felt not-quite-good-enough, smart enough, or capable enough, and my insecurities are still disabling at times.

But God can do surprising things with our weaknesses if we let him.  He took mine and lovingly burdened me with empathy for those who appear less fortunate than I.  Through my chosen profession -- helping those born with intellectual and developmental disabilities – I learned that the ability to love can’t be measured by an IQ test, and that one’s value as a human being doesn’t depend on intellectual prowess.

Chad’s arms and legs were permanently drawn up in a fetal position.  At 22, he could do nothing for himself.  He would spend some time each day in a beanbag chair, placed there by caregivers.  He couldn’t speak, but would cut his eyes and smile in my direction when he heard my voice.  Gary had severe behavior problems.  He couldn’t read or write, but he loved to sing, and I loved to listen:  God is so good…He loves me so…He’s so good to me.

Chad blessed me with a smile – everything he had to give.  Gary taught me with a song  --  simple, yet profoundly eloquent.

I want you to know Tina.  Developmentally disabled, widowed, mother of three children, and grandmother of one.  My husband and I saw her walking one morning.  It was drizzling rain and she was carrying a small grocery sack.  Having known us for years, she let us drive her home.

She said her daughters were coming to visit and she wanted to make them a special treat.  She walked 2 miles on that chilly, wet morning to buy ice cream.  She was making milkshakes for her girls.

Every now and then – if we have an open heart – we can glimpse eternity in a smile, a song, or in the form of pure, innocent, sacrificial love, like Tina’s.  After she was safely inside, I wept at the beauty of it.

God, you are the essence of pure, innocent, sacrificial love.  Help us love this way.  Through Jesus Christ who showed us how, Amen.

Sandra Milholland
AbileneTexas

No comments:

Post a Comment