Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lessons from an Autograph Book and a Science Test

Words are powerful and life-changing. They can teach, bless, inspire, challenge, give direction or warning, provide hope, shout “Hallelujah,” whisper “Come unto me,” say “I love you” or proclaim “I am with you always.” They can also encourage or turn people away.

One day each semester, I write “Barnabas Day” on the board in my Lifetime Wellness classes, and without fail my thoughts take me back 36 years to the inspiration for the assignment.  Although my teachers wouldn’t remember, nearly forty years later, I can recall the distinct handwriting, color of ink, and their exact written
words…

It was common at Happy Valley Elementary to have friends and teachers sign an autograph book at the end of the year.  I had the same likeable sixth grade teacher as mygifted brother, and looked forward to seeing what he would write in my autograph book.  *I will preface what he wrote by saying that math was a subject I had to work really hard in and my grades were pretty inconsistent  (a nice way of saying,  “not so bueno”). * To make a long story short, I flipped through my treasured book at home and found my teacher’s remark.  It said, “World’s Greatest Math Student???”  To have received those words from someone you really respected was a tough and embarrassing blow! 

Fast forward one year: I had just completed my first year of playing basketball for the Stanley Spartans Jr. High team.  I had a fun science teacher and on the top of one of my tests, he had written a message.  It said, “17 points in the Cage Carnival game!  Wow!!” 

And there you have it:  two of my favorite teachers writing a message to me in their own handwriting.  One was inspiring and one was devastating. 

I know firsthand how written words can leave a mark; therefore, I share the story of these two teachers and challenge my students to bless someone they care about with words in what I coined as a “Barnabas Note” on “Barnabas Day.” I specify that the note should be in their own handwriting and not typed, texted, or emailed to their recipient.  You see, I know, and I am sure you know, how special it is to receive a card or letter from someone who took the time to hand write a message.  In fact, one of the reasons ACU appealed so much to me was receiving handwritten letters from my future basketball coach, Burl McCoy, and some of the ACU boosters who had never even met me such as Dewby Ray, Ruby Guy, Chic Owen, and Annette Mossman.   

So, will you take the challenge and write a “Barnabas Note” to someone this week?  We can’t let the real Barnabas have all the fun encouraging people!  Words of Life, words of Hope give us Strength, help us Cope.  In this world, where e'er we roam, Ancient words will guide us home.  –Michael W. Smith

Deonna Shake
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment