Monday, December 24, 2012

Thank God for Ultimate Freedom


Stone cold walls
Total isolation
Void of human voices
No letters, no calls, no visits

Isaiah 42:6-7
I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness;
I will take hold of your hand.
I will keep you and will make you
to be a covenant for the people
and a light for the Gentiles,
to open eyes that are blind,
to free captives from prison
and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness
.

Walking through the halls of the original cell blocks at Eastern State Penitentiary, dark despair overwhelms the heart.  Loneliness looms throughout the property.
Belief that solitary confinement would aid in rehabilitation, the expensive penitentiary was opened outside Philadelphia in 1829.  Solitary confinement failed to rehabilitate, but devastated an individual-psychologically.
As our group toured the property, listened to the history of the massive, innovative structure, thoughts ran through my mind of various types of prisons today…

Psalm 119:31-32
I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord;
do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
for you have set my heart free
.

Sarah fought MS that ravaged her body.  It locked away a sharp mind and joyful spirit in a body that refused to function for her.  Simple acts we take for granted, she hadn’t enjoyed in years.  She was set free, as she crossed through death’s door, to the sweet reality of promises we hold dear.  One beautiful day, we will join Sarah, and continue to rejoice that she is whole and unencumbered.  No more confinement, only joy and fellowship with our LORD forever.

Romans 8:2
…because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

Loved ones are trapped in a prison of ugly and cruel ramifications.  Memory loss and confusion locks one in a lonely world of confinement.  Medical research continues its quest for answers to combat Alzheimer’s.  One fine day, the redeemed that have been prisoners of Alzheimer’s or dementia, will be set free from these chains that isolate them.

Galatians 3:22
But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ,  might be given to those who believe.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Jesus, our Savior has set us free from the prison we find ourselves in.  He alone has the keys to open the door, freedom from the bondage of sin.  One glorious day, we will look at the face of our LORD, and continue to praise Him for the indescribable gift of salvation & reconciliation.

Romans 6:22
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves  to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

As freed captives, at times we choose bars that confine us.  Bonds that stifle growth into the servant He instructs us to be; cells of shame, guilt or fear, to name a few.

Romans 7:21
So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of  my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this  body of death?  Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Psalm 146:6-8
The Maker of heaven and earth,
the sea, and everything in them—
the Lord, who remains faithful forever.
He upholds the cause of the oppressed
and gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets prisoners free,
the Lord gives sight to the blind,
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down,
the Lord loves the righteous.

Merciful Father,
Thank You for sending Jesus to free us from the bondage of sin.  In Him, we have life and freedom.  Enable us to take the gospel to all who remain prisoners of sin and eternal death.
Thank you, Jesus, for Your ultimate sacrifice to purchase our pardon.                    
In Your name, Sweet Jesus.

Mischelle Oliver,
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment