Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mary, Come and Sit for a Minute


Prince of Peace, You spoke her name twice, (gently I believe), calming her anxious and annoyed heart. What blurred her vision of Your love and peace and goodness? She opened her home to You and Your crew. She labored to make everything just right. Not wrong in her service, although her heart focus needed redirection from work back to You. She needed Your presence and Your words to quiet and nourish her soul, as do we. You lifted her up from the quagmire of anxiety and lovingly invited her to higher ground-Holy ground at Your feet.

How many times do we lose sight of You while setting out to serve in Your name? The stormy atmosphere of our heart exposed through unkind words. Thank You, for the same loving invitation to higher ground; when our vision of You is blurred and rash words are spoken.
“Let your gentleness be evident to all. The LORD is near.” Philippians 4:5

Too frequently, my family endures my “anxiety” moments. If I listen with my heart, I can hear You speaking my name, Your amazing love, gently, calming my anxious heart, Your words refocus my mind. Help me to be like Mary and have ears that hear Your voice and a heart that pants to be in Your presence. Jesus, You make me nervous because You call me to have a Mary heart, when I think with a Martha mind. Please continue to reshape my mind, my heart and my words with Your precious peace.

Our lips should express adoration and praise and thanksgiving to You. Help us, LORD, to cease our grumbling and complaining. LORD, help us stop comparing and competing with others. Let us encourage one another and serve with love and grace.

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether word or deed, do it all in the name of the LORD Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Col. 3:15-17

Through the Scriptures, You instruct us about Your peace-how to have it, how to dwell in it. Desperately, we seek You, to cast off the anxieties of daily life.
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
“I have told you these things, so that you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
“Those who love Thy law have great peace, And nothing causes them to stumble.” Psalm 119:165

You encouraged those You healed and forgave to “Go in peace.” Thank You, Jesus, for these nuggets of truth to calm our hearts amidst the concerns of life. May we linger in Your presence, and allow all else to fall in place under Your control and not our own. Teach us to reject the thoughts and words that zap the energy and peace You plant deep in our hearts.

Your prayerful example as You walked among men, speaks to us eloquently. Publicly and privately, You sought Your Father’s will. You had much to do in a short time. Yet, You retreated to be alone with Your Father. Thank You, for modeling to us, a heart of prayer.

Time with You, pouring out our heart, absorbing Your Word for our counsel, revives and calms us. Replace the anxiety that overwhelms with Your perfect peace. Let the peace that transcends all understanding be a canopy over the hearts of Your children-that we may serve You joyfully.
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

Holy Father-God of peace, We exalt You. Your love and patience are beyond measure. Increase our faith. Teach us to pray unceasingly. Fashion us to be thankful and humble. Your faithful promises are the peace that revives our hearts. Thank You, Father, for the “Marys” in our lives. May they continue to mentor us on this journey home as we travel guided by Your Spirit. Thank You, for Jesus and His example in life, in death, in resurrection.
In His Precious Name, Amen

Mischelle Oliver
Stephenville, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment