Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fire In My Bones

I ran track in my younger years and had some degree of success, but after college, getting married, and having three children, my running shoes were put to rest. I have always maintained some form of physical activity, but eventually lost all zeal for running. Let’s face it, running is hardcore physical work which requires commitment, endurance, patience, motivation, diligence, devotion, and enthusiasm, just to name a few. The business of wife, mother, and domestic engineer tapped all reserves dry. Last summer I pulled out the old running shoes once again desiring to up my physical game with the hope that my body (particularly my knees, legs, and feet) would immediately remember what this movement was I was asking it to do and react with vigor. No go. Nonetheless, I continued toward my goal of learning to run again. I have since run several small races and this weekend I will run my first half marathon in Austin, Texas.

So why do I choose to put myself (and my family) through the agony of physical and mental exhaustion? My motivation--to live a healthier life and become a positive influence in the lives of my family and friends. Along the way I was smitten by the fabled “runner’s high." It’s an intense sudden burst of energy and sense of wellbeing. My entire body lights up like a Christmas tree with surges of endorphins. I guess you could refer to it as renewed zeal or spiritual fervor.

Isn’t that what Paul talks about in Romans 12:11?  It reads: “Never lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord." We should be on fire for the Lord - all fired up - zealously glowing! Sometimes we get cooled off and become lukewarm. God wants us to have enthusiasm and excitement for the things of the Lord. We should have a burning zeal to do our best in all situations and look for opportunities to honor God and the gospel.

This is a word we should take to heart. Let’s take control of our race and put on our running shoes. Don’t be a spectator; build your spiritual muscle by exercising or renewing your fervor for God and finish the race with zeal.

Father, thank you for loving me despite times that I have shadows that darken the light and your spirit. Lord, help us to be believers who are diligently and fervently serving you, never lacking in zeal. May our souls be rekindled with fire from above as we seek the eternal life, the upward call, the crown of righteousness. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Carla Henson
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment