Friday, August 31, 2012

Sacrifice

When I open the book of Hebrews, I am taken to the tabernacle. The people of Israel camped in the wilderness in the very presence of God! Right in the middle of the camp was the altar. I can’t miss it. Follow the smoke; look for the fire; Look at all of those sacrifices. Some said ‘thank you’. Some said ‘forgive me’. Worship was everywhere. Each sacrifice declared the nature, identity and authority of God. Every sacrifice was a confession of faith. The sacrifice declared ‘I am better off with God than with this animal.’ Every sacrifice declared the authority of God by saying God has the right to demand obedience.         

In chapter 13, verse 15, He calls on us to make a sacrifice of praise. He says it is to be with our lips and it is to be continuous. I know that what comes out of my mouth is what is in my heart. This sacrifice is to acknowledge His name. It is really about developing an attitude of praise. Since it starts in the heart, that is where the work begins.         

I, too, live in the very presence of God. So the question is “What am I bringing to the altar?”       

O Lord, How do I praise you? Words are not enough. But words are what I have. I can’t even think in terms grand enough for you. But my real sin is not that I can’t, but that I don’t try.           Here I am in Your presence and I’m playing in the dirt. I could be talking to You and I’m telling jokes! I am so sorry. Help me! Forgive me!          
Thank You for always caring for me. Forgive me for trying to make it on my own. Create in me a new heart, O God!  In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment