Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I Wonder...

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. - Colossians 3:12-15

I wonder how many people would know the good news of Christ if they were approached with the virtues listed in verse 12 instead of a spoonful of “right doctrine?”  I wonder how many marriages could be reconciled if the church approached the spouses with the virtues listed in verse 12 instead of their opinions and interpretations of what God says about divorce and remarriage.  I wonder how many alcoholics would choose Christ instead of the bottle if they were overwhelmed with the virtues listed in verse 12 instead of a lecture on the dangers of drinking too much.  I wonder how many non-believers would think about believing if they were overwhelmed with the virtues listed in verse 12 instead of overwhelmed by what awaits them in hell.  

I wonder.  Do you?

As I see a friend wandering further from the church because of accusatory and self-righteous text messages after hearing of a mistake he has made, I can’t help but be disappointed as people ask what he needs and I simply respond with “love and prayers.”  

Let me encourage you this day to love people freely, to show compassion freely, the show kindness freely, to express humility and gentleness in abundance and to exhibit patience freely and abundantly.  In doing so, whether they realize it or not, they will simply see the love of Christ pouring out of your words and actions.

Jeff Jones
Decatur, Texas

1 comment: