Wednesday, June 27, 2012

“I Want to Go Home”

Jesus said, "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust in me.  There are many rooms in my Father's house; I would not tell you this if it were not true. I am going there to prepare a place for you.  After I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me so that you may be where I am.
Jesus answered, "If people love me, they will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.  John 14:1-3, 23

When I was 5 years old I went to my grand-parents’ house along with one of my cousins.  It was great fun playing with my cousin in Papa Charlie’s mechanic shop and eating Grandmothers snicker-doodle cookies.  As it became late in the day and darkness approached I felt uneasy and my stomach began to hurt.  Not like when you’re sick, but when you’re nervous, anxious, and uneasy.  As Grandmother started my cousin and me towards bed I made it known with a wail “I want to go home”.  Fun and games were over.  No matter how much my grand-parents tried to calm me nothing else would satisfy my longing.  I still remember the relief I felt as Papa Charlie drove me home.  When was the last time you felt that deep longing and yearning for home?  That same feeling I felt as darkness set on my grand-parents’ house is the way I felt when I had to leave home to start first grade.  It is how I felt when my dad left to work away from home.  It is how I felt when I left home to start college.  It is how I felt when I left home to start my first job.  It is how I felt when our daughter left home for college.  It is the feeling I get already anticipating our son leaving home, though it is two years away.  When “home” is disrupted we long for the return of the comfort and peace it brings.  Our family experiences, the joy, satisfaction, and contentment of living and experiencing life with those we love makes “home” so emotionally important and so deeply imbedded into our being.  

As followers of Christ the feeling of “home” is a powerful connection in our relationship with our heavenly Father.  God knew words couldn’t describe what is in store for those He loves, so He gave us something here on earth for a taste.  Something tangible we could grasp that is probably as close as we can understand.  It’s as if the Lord has prepared our hearts to substitute that longing for home to longing for Him.  Our affection for home becomes inter-twined with our relationship with God himself.  As strong as we feel for our earthly father and mother, our brothers and sisters, our husbands and wives, our children and grand- children the Spirit tells us "as good as this is I have something better in store for you".   As we spend more time with our Father here the delight of those moments is so rich and satisfying we long for more.   And we come to realize the home we so long for resides in Him.  It is what He planned all along.  See Him in your longings for home.  Know that this is God himself calling us to joy unimaginable and peace that passes understanding.  

Lord, my soul longs for You.  Continue to guide me to You.  Show me the way.   Nothing compares to You.  Amen.

Scotty Elston
Shallowater,
Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment