Sunday, March 4, 2012

Theme: Matthew 6:9-13

The Lord’s Prayer:  A Primer in Power
“When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking,” Leif sang loudly as he put on his pajamas. Our oldest is learning to read.   Our days are filled with phonics, spelling rules, and primers.  To see the triumph on his face when he sounds out a complex word correctly is a mother’s delight. 
We could swim a lifetime in the vast pool of subjects contained within scripture and never reach the other side.  Thankfully our loving Father gave us some “primers” to help us learn basic truths about Him and his creation.  This week we will be examining the Lord’s Prayer.  When Jesus shows us how to do something, we should take note. 
On February 16th, Scotty Elston gave us some beautiful insights into the “Kingdom” referenced in the Lord’s Prayer.  Since then I have been praying through God’s powerful “primer” daily.  Like a child acquiring new knowledge, this exercise has been exciting and renewing.  The following is the prayer recorded in Matthew and then my prayer as I began this morning.
Matthew 6:9-13
 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
 Give us today our daily bread.
 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
Our Father in heaven:  Our, mine… MY Father.  Humbly, I come to you as your child and am bowed low that you would call me, ‘daughter’. 
Hallowed be your name:  Today, I sanctify… set apart…YOUR name. You Lord, are set on high and lifted up in my home and in my heart. 
Your Kingdom come:   YOUR Kingdom, not mine.  I choose YOU.  Over and over I choose you and your will for my life. 
Your will be done:  Take over and take control of the parts of me I still hold on to.  I surrender all that I am to your masterful hands…shape me into your vessel.  I don’t just want to walk with you…I want to run with you. 
On earth as it is in heaven:  I begin with “the end in mind,” Lord.  Heaven is where I long to be.  I joyfully walk through today with eager anticipation of an eternity spent basking in the direct warmth of your love. 
Give us today our daily bread:  Thank you for the bounty of my table.  My family eats more in a day than most of the world does in a week.  Help me to share your rich provisions with gladness in my heart and a smile on my face.  YOU are the bread of my life.  You sustain me unlike anything else.  Help me to share this bread by physically and spiritually feeding others. 
And forgive us our debts:  Wash me clean, Lord.  Shine your light into the dark places of my heart. 
As we also have forgiven our debtors:  Heal my hurts with the power of your love, so that I may let go of all resentment and bitterness towards others.  Free me from the expectations I may have of other people, so I may see and love them as you do.
And lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from the evil one
:  Lord, I set my mind and my heart on you.  Fill me with your desires, so that I may not be tempted; and when temptation arises today, help me to see an escape route.  In the battle that wages around me, you are the victor.  Amen.”
"Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; prayer is the greater work."
Oswald Chambers
Dana Jaworski
Anchor Point
, AK

No comments:

Post a Comment