Monday, February 27, 2012

Theme: Psalm 1

Prosper


I began today with a journey.  It started with reflections on Psalm 1, specifically verse 3: 

3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
   whatever they do prospers.

I read the verse and enjoyed the comparisons and similarity to another favorite, Psalm 23 with its description of green pastures, quiet waters and a refreshed soul. A tree beside the stream of water flourishes as we do when we love and follow God. We do not wither because God provides the nourishment; we live and prosper. (My day’s journey changed direction.) I did a word search of the Bible for “Prosper” and found Deuteronomy 5:33

33 Walk in obedience to all that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.

(Another tangent in the journey; “Live long and prosper” = Mr. Spock of Star Trek and the Vulcan hand greeting) 

“Live long and prosper” was from Deuteronomy and not from Star Trek! It was a directive from Moses to the Hebrew people rather than a greeting between Vulcan people. Next, I Googled “Live long and prosper” and found Mr. Spock’s famous hand signal, a 4 second video.  (Who puts a 4 second video on YouTube?) Another video attracted my attention.  It was titled “Leonard Nimoy on the Spock Star Trek Vulcan Salute” The first minute of the video is my God story of the day and provided another turn in my journey. I can’t tell about the video but you will be amazed and learn something only 175,000 other people know.  If you wish, copy the link below to watch:


I shared the video with several people at work and each was as pleased as I with their new knowledge. It was a very cool journey that I would not have been able to share if I had not watched that 4 second video!

Dear God, Thank you for the promises you make, the nourishment you provide; so we will not wither but will prosper as we follow you.  I really enjoyed the surprises and the journey through your word today (and the tangents).  Amen
Sherilyn Svien
Stephenville, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment