Tuesday, February 7, 2012

THE BUSINESS OF RESTORATION


Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Look to yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.” – Galatians 6:1-2        

Sins are like traps and when people are caught in them, everyone knows. Paul calls this trapping “being overtaken”. Expert help is needed to get the person out of sin and back into fellowship.          

Not everyone should be in the restoring business. Paul says you must be spiritual. This is hard work for a person who is spiritually minded but it is impossible work for those who have the mind of flesh. Paul also says the restorer must be gentle. The goal is to restore the fallen not destroy him. Then he warns us that no one is immune to the temptations to sin. Think quicksand. While you are trying to rescue someone, you are in danger yourself.          

One of the dangers a rescuer faces is PRIDE (Verse 3). When you are doing a good thing, it is easy to think too much of self. Then we are caught.          

Paul is not saying that the church should not be active in restoration; he is saying this great work should be done by mature, gentle, humble people. Anyone can destroy but we need preparation to become one who can rescue and restore.           

Dear Father and God, Thank you for not destroying me. It is your right but you rescued me instead. I must always praise your name. For your steadfast love. You pulled me from the quicksand and restored me to fellowship. I thank you for salvation. I am ashamed of the times I have been a voice of condemnation and not salvation. I ask that you create in me a new heart. Please forgive me for my pride and please rescue me from sin.In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment