Monday, January 9, 2012

The War

“For though we live in the world we are not carrying on a worldly war, for the weapons of our warfare are not worldly but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every proud obstacle to the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.”  - 2 Corinthians 10:3-6

When Paul describes our battle, the picture is right out of Revelation. The war is against supernatural forces, yet this battle that is out of this world is fought in our very minds. A battle for who we really are and what we think. Our very thoughts.  

I have always thought of this passage as a discription of evangelism. The truth overcomes arguments, changes hearts and converts people. Darkness is pushed back. All this is true but notice the personal references. “When your obedience is complete”.

When I look at this scripture as a mirror pointed at me instead of a search light pointed at others, I am stunned. Look at it. I am carrying on this war in my mind as well. I have built proud obstacles to the knowledge of God. Proud might not only mean the size of the obstacle but it could also mean the reason for the obstacle. My pride, many times, is the obstacle. It stands between me and the truth. This pride is afraid I will cease to exist; that I will become unimportant. So there is some truth of God I might not want.

This obstacle must be destroyed and this thought must be taken captive. I must die to self. I must realize I am and always have been insignificant. That Christ is EVERYTHING. “For me to live is Christ”.

Dear God, How hard it is for me to be humble or rather to admit how small I have always been. I don’t know why you care about me but I am grateful you do. In this battle in my mind, please destroy the strongholds of sin. Please take down those proud obstacles. Please take every thought captive. Help me, please, to finish my race. Help me, please, complete my obedience. In the name of Your Son, I pray.

Paul Shero
San Angelo, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment