Friday, January 20, 2012

Interceding for Me

The Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.

Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen?  It is God who justifies.  Who is he that condemns?  Christ Jesus, who died – more than that, who was raised to life – is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  - Romans 8:26-27, 33-35

My first significant job after college led me to a South Texas town as a complete stranger.  My only contact came from a call to the office of one of the local churches of Christ.  “Mark” met me at the church building as I arrived in town.  He fed me lunch, showed me a desirable apartment complex and co-signed on my new electric utility account.  He introduced me to several people my age.  In just a few days I was settled, with new friends and a church home.  Left on my own, these blessings and unexpected experiences could have taken weeks or months to occur, if they would have happened at all.  Mark chose to get involved, since we had a common bond in Jesus Christ.  Mark was interceding for me.

God’s Holy Spirit and His son, Christ Jesus, are both interceding for me.  God knows my weaknesses and provided this intervention to reconcile our relationship.  Amazingly, I receive the benefit of numerous spiritual blessings because I am God’s child.  The Spirit intercedes to the Father with a perfectly worded prayer.  God wants to know the priorities of my heart and the Spirit translates on my behalf in accordance with God’s will.  Christ Jesus intercedes with protection and assurance.  Satan’s attacks are futile since God is for me.  Jesus represents me before the Father and defends my merciful justification.  Praise God the Spirit and Jesus are interceding for me.

Dear Father, I thank you for the gift of your Son as the atoning sacrifice for my sins.  I thank you for the gift of your Spirit, guaranteeing what is to come.  I appreciate that your Spirit and your Son intercede for me, overcoming my weaknesses, bringing me near to you and helping me wait patiently for hope fulfilled.  In Jesus’ name, amen.

Carl Smith
Stephenville, TX

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful it is to have Jesus interceding for us. Thanks for the reminder to go to him often. He is waiting there for us!

    ReplyDelete