Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Best Gift

I heard a story Christmas morning at church about a grandmother who didn’t know what to get the grandkids who were growing up and lived so far away so she decided to send them cards with a check in it. She gets it all ready and mailed the cards only to realize a day later that she forgot to include the checks. Imagine the grandkids surprise when they got a card from their grandmother that said “buy your own gifts this year.”  

I love gift cards and I certainly like cash.  As someone who has plenty of “stuff” I want to buy things I need and often those things cost more than someone would be able to pay so just give the ability to go do it myself.  Merry Christmas to me!

On this Christmas day and each day before and after, I’m thankful that God doesn’t send me a card that tells me to buy my own gift or simply give me a gift card or cash so I can go get what I need.  God gave me a gift and the gift is Jesus.  It’s a gift I didn’t deserve, a gift I don’t yet fully grasp, a gift I could never acquire on my own.  

It is possible to experience Christmas all year long by simply remembering God’s gift each day and living a life that shares the joy and hope that comes from his gift to each of us.  
Grace and peace to you.        

Jeff Jones
Decatur, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment