Friday, November 11, 2011

What if God isn't Real?

"What if God isn't real?" Throughout my life I have struggled with this question.  Even at the age of 8, I remember waking up in the night crying, fearing that we might be mistaken.
In college, I went through an extensive period of research: I studied other religions, interviewed people of different faiths, and read many books, attempting to view the world objectively. I ended my time of exploration armed with many reasons to believe.
Even so, I still go back to my doubts at times. It is a battle I can never win  – I know I can never have complete proof. I must still choose God with my heart. That’s why we are called to faith – being certain of what we do not see (Hebrews 6:1)!

But I am constantly looking for things to teach me. This year, I read about emperor penguins. They are incredible animals, living every day in temperatures of about 60 degrees below zero. The mothers lay their eggs, then transfer them to the fathers, where they are kept warm sitting on the father’s feet.

The mothers travel up to 50 miles across frozen land to fish, having been totally without food for weeks. The fathers huddle together in masses for about 65 days, eating nothing the entire time. They shift positions by making the tiniest possible movements, taking care not to drop their eggs, rotating around the group so they each get a turn in the middle where it’s warmest.

The mothers return after the eggs have hatched, carrying a fish for their babies’ first meal. The chicks stay with their parents until their down sheds into a sleek coat, perfect for diving and protecting their fat stores. The penguins have timed the hatching perfectly with the season. The ice begins to break up, bringing open waters closer to the nesting site, so the babies don’t have far to travel for their first swim.
Isn’t it amazing what they go through, just by instinct?  I wondered, “Why did God make penguins? No one lives at the South Pole to see them.”  I thought about all the unknown sea creatures we have never explored, the innumerable stars in the sky we will never reach. Why are they there? I went to the Word to look.

"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good."
–Genesis 1:31

"The heavens declare the glory of God… Day after day they pour forth speech; …Their voice goes out into all the earth, … to the ends of the world."
-Psalm 19:1-4

God created these things because He is good, just like the creation He made. And they proclaim Him. He made them so we would know He is real! A friend asked me once, “Why doesn’t God make Himself more obvious?” I answered her, “He has! He probably wonders how we can not see Him all around us.”

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities… have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."
--Romans 1:20

There are so many wonders in the universe: the size of the planets, the way wasps make their nests, how small an embryo is when its heart begins to beat. And to think that this world is the imperfect version of creation!

I have always identified with the man who said, “I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24). It is a prayer I know I will always pray, but I continue to choose Christ. I hope that you look at the world around you with a fresh set of eyes today, knowing all of it was made so you would know that
God is.
Bicky Tolar
Abilene, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment